The following are excerpts from evaluations or direct quotes from people who I have worked with.
From My Team in All-Access Game Design, Spring 2008, University of Redlands
From my boss, Piers Britton, as a Visual Resources Coordinator, University of Redlands
- "Eli was an extremely impressive teacher."
- "He was unbelievable at [programming]. There wasn't a question Eli couldn't answer or couldn't find the answer to when it came to his field."
- "His enthusiasm and energy rubbed off on everyone he worked with."
- "Eli always did everything he could to make the group stronger."
- "Eli made teaching seem like nothing, which is a gift."
- "An excellent teacher and resource."
- "He took a good deal of time explaining conceptually what was going on in any part of the code that someone was confused about,
and would maintain patience and friendliness regardless of how many times he had to explain something, and if one approach
would not work, he would try another."
- "Eli was patient and extremely knowledgeable."
- "From the start, it was obvious that he had a very methodological, full picture of the exact goal of the students and the course.
He knew how dozens of things were going to interrelate and could easily get the desired goal for a week reached."
- "Eli was a positive, cheerful influence."
- "He was confident and in control of all situations that called for it."
- "He was open and supportive of my programming, giving me general advice and feedback rather than just answers or pointers on
specific problems - many I think I will remember outside of programming."
- "He was always very helpful and encouraging, and never made anyone feel as though they had any more or less standing in his eyes."
- "He really knew what he was doing."
- "Personally I was rather impressed [with him]."
- "He made it so we kept moving forward and didn't lose sight of the end goal."
- "He often asked logical, purposeful and thought-provoking questions that got us thinking about our code."
- "He worked constructively with both individuals and groups."
(These words were written as part of my nomination for Student Employee of the Year.)
- "Eli is in the highest degree dependable; he works unsupervised to an extraordinary level."
- "It is hard to imagine how a trained, full-time staff worker could better the astonishing quality of Eli's work."
- "He not only fulfills all requests to the letter, problem-solving as he goes, but anticipates and sometimes pre-empts requests.
For example, he has - entirely unprompted - worked out means of streamlining processes of acquiring, recording and adding
meta-data to visual data for our collections which it never occurred to me to ask him to do."
- "His troubleshooting not only redresses existent problems but serves as a basis for his advising me of potential future difficulties."
- "Eli's work is distinctive by virtue of his extraordinary motivation and initiative. I hired him into one position; he augmented the
creative infrastructure of his work to the point where I could not hope to replicate the position he actually works now."
- "It is Eli's initiative that makes him both indispensable and irreplaceable."
- "Eli is a delight to work with. He is even-tempered, he treats adversity and obstacles with dry humor, and he has excellent instincts about
engaging or not engaging his supervisor, depending on the situation."
- "He never complains, and never overwhelms his supervisor with his (manifestly) superior knowledge of software and its possible applications."
- "Eli's initiative is coupled with his ability to turn on a dime."
- "He is a consummate 'player,' and ever-increasingly a proficient in realpolitik."
- "Suffice it to say that Eli has done work which it would be impossible to train a successor to do."
- "He knows how to turn adversity into advantage."
- "He has endeared himself to co-workers and outside affiliates alike, and his commitment to his work-study, without being unhealthily obsessive, is remarkable."
- "[Eli is] a source of vicarious pride for both of the supervisors who have worked with him in the last two years."
Thank you so much for the wonderful words, everyone!